1.09.2006

to be an echo

Sunday I took the bus back UNDISCLOSED TOP SECRET LOCATION and was bullshit that a strangerboy elected to sit in the seat next to me. (I was once entrapped in a conversation about nothing with a starry eyed 17 year old aspiring super hero on a 5 hour bus ride, and have been a little edgy about who sits next to me ever since.) Nevertheless, strangerboy sits down, doesn’t try to engage a conversation and I begin a uncomfortable busnap.

That should be the end of the story; I fell asleep on the bus, I woke up and I was home. However, at the rest stop, I woke up confused and hot from sleeping inside my coat. And strangerboy, eric, and I got into a 3 hour conversation about literally everything: infidelity, hyperactivity, why Michael Moore is a bullshit demi-god, grammar, pills, the necessity of compulsively washing dishes, why talking to people on the bus sucks, evolution & reproduction, geography, NPR, law students, evangelical redsox love, our mutual wildly inconsistent personalities and dairy products. All in all, if it hadn’t been on a bus AND we were both single, it would have been the best first date of my life.

From here I believe we have 2 talking points:

1. Why is it completely natural to be honest about every dirty little neurotic hang up with a complete stranger? And dear god, why should someone who doesn’t know me at all be able to sincerely express a greater than superficial understanding of the how and the why of my default settings when most (let’s be honest, all) of the people I’ve known for years and decades think I’m completely loony (evil)?

2. I live in a city, albeit a small city, and I always feel like I have no one to meet, and no way of meeting anyone who I would ever want to talk to regularly. (How would that feeling be compounded if I lived somewhere god forsaken, like small town Indiana? OR if I weren’t enrolled in school which, through shared experience, is an excellent way to meet people?) The majority of the time adding people to my life feels logistically impossible, but even if I had the time/energy/desire to acquire anyone, I always think I wouldn’t. But then every once in a while I come across someone wholly worthwhile. And it is nothing less than refreshing.



your life is the most interesting without me?  


Post a Comment
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates